Saturday, November 30, 2013

Finding a new monologue/song - Whyyy???

I know I am not alone when I say that finding a new monologue that speaks to me and my experience or at least moves me is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am always reading new plays and if I limit it to plays featuring African American female characters that are not simply 2-dimensional caricatures then good luck to me! When you are preparing for an audition especially if you sing and act, it is vital that you are able to demonstrate strong choices and a great sense of who you are with your choices.

At times, I look at the bags of music and the scarcity of contemporary monologues and become completely overwhelmed. And if they ask for a comedic monologue, forget about it. Humor in a scene is very organic and is the result of the entire scene not just the 1-2 minutes that I gorged out to make a monologue. This is one of the many reasons that working with a coach or a trusted colleague is never a bad idea. The process can help you get out of your head and back into your body. It can help you make some great and insightful choices. Active choices so that the words can come to life. Someone watching you or videotaping yourself can help you to see what you can often miss.Even a pro like me needs a nudge in the right direction every once in a while. It encourages growth and helps me avoid stagnation.

The same holds true for music. Use the lyrics to tell a story and the notes to show off your voice. It cannot simply be a song that you always wanted to sing. If it is from a musical, it should be from a role that you would actually play (unless it is for a cabaret, then I say sing what you feel). But in the audition room, you do not want to get blocked by perception. I would never sing Don't Cry for me Argentina in the room because a black women of my size and stature oh and don't forget that I am not from Argentina would never get that role. No matter how great I sound singing it. But, I should demonstrate any and legit training I have if necessary because that is also unexpected, but it can work in your favor. (Knock your heart out Audra McDonald)

I also cannot limit myself to yelling and making gospel trills with my voice. The song you sing should reflect the show you are auditioning for. If you are unsure of the show or season, select one that shows off your voice and personality.

Not only are the casting folks looking for talent. They are also looking to see if they can or want to work with you. Do you appear difficult or are you afraid to make any choices outside of your box of safety?

These are my basic tips and fears of monologues and choosing music. Now off I go to prepare...until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment