Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I want to be in the NBA

As many of you know, I have the honored privilege of being a substitute teacher during my down time. This is just a sarcastic way of saying, "Thank goodness I still have my state teaching certificate. My rent thanks you.LOL!" Each time I strike up a real conversation with a student that is not related to a subject, an assignment, or behavior, I always hear that the boys have aspirations to play for the NFL or the NBA. And many of the girls want to be a nurse, singer, or model. No one has fully realized or even begun to ponder the idea of rejection or failure. And there are many that simply have no dreams whatsoever.

Now I know that this sounds depressing. But, when I ask Student A what steps has he or she taken to be in the NBA or a model. I get this response: "Ummm, well I am playing on the team here." (How often do you practice outside of school?) "Well, I don't have to because we have practice here (Have you been in any fashion shows?) "Not really, but someone approached me and said that I would make a great model. They gave me a number and said that I could pay... (Okay) (You have to work hard to play hard) Student A always responds, what does that mean?

Now before this conversation. You know, before he or she figured I was interesting or they recognized me from Barber Shop 2 or that I actually may have some useful information. He or she refused to complete their assignment and followed very few of my basic directions, time and time again. This same person wants to embark on a career choice that is filled with many ups and downs, peaks and valleys. After a pause, I simply ask: How do you feel when you can't get what you want? The answer varies. But only a few have every answered that I will continue to try and try unless it is not a good idea for me in the first place. Those students have gone on to do some interesting things. Mostly, they are happy and always ready to be disappointed. But not rendered motionless by it.

How one deals with failure dictates how one pursues certain goals? Those who dream small usually do so because they have limited abilities or mostly because they want to avoid failure and rejection at all costs. Yes, a support system is also necessary. But it will not get you of the couch and into the game. That comes from inside.

I need for young people to have these goals but to realize that less than 6% of players get the opportunity to play professionally. But there are may careers connected to sports that are never considered and pay just as well. I need for young people to realize that some models make a modest living and there are those that reach super star status (when luck meets opportunity). I need for young people to understand that there are working actors like me who still have to substitute teach sometimes, and there are famous people. Some even experience superstar status at moments during their career, and still drive the same 2000 Honda Accord and have no cable. I need for them to know that the auditions on American Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, and X Factor had pre-auditions before folks got to that "magical moment." And that you have to make your own opportunity and they are not always glamorous, but it will get you one step closer to your goal.

Risky goals means you have to possess the tenacity, willpower, patience, and work ethic to make it over and through the constant failures and setbacks. Because they will come. You have to also know how to treat people and take all chances as your only chance not expecting a second. The question is, Do our young people have what it takes to make their dreams a reality. Or do they only have the power to take one failure and spend the rest of their lives in regret and bitterness?


No comments:

Post a Comment