Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Who is this activist, actress, parent, and teacher?



Over the last few days, I have been working with other educators, parents, and activists who want to see positive change in public education. Each time that I enter the space I am questioned about how I came to be involved in this work in the first place and how does that segue with my work as an artist.

First, a brief history when I graduated from high school I pursued a degree in musical theater. After two years of nearly having my joy diminished and being pushed further away from performing, I decided to transfer.  During the transition, my faith in theater departments was in flux so I majored in secondary education at my new school, but fully participated in theater and dance studies without the constraints of being an actual theater student.  It was an amazing experience that rekindled my faith in my abilities and goals as an aspiring actress.

The interconnection of my studies between education, English, theater, music and dance further enhanced my passion for art in schools.  In fact, one of my first independent research projects included me starting a summer theater program in local Champaign, Illinois for girls in a housing project, and it was an experience that continues to push me.

Each time I am asked to introduce myself at a gathering filled with educators, activists, and parents I am always shocked at how difficult it is to describe or explain what and why I am there. In fact just recently, I gave my name because I simply had no idea what to say. I am not simply a parent, writer, actress, singer, and teacher. I am a person who has been defined and shaped by a myriad of experiences that do not always fit neatly into the aforementioned categories. That is one of the many reasons I started this blog. And that is the very reason that I believe in positive change for public education because when a child is truly exposed to a holistic educational experience they can also transform and transcend any societal rules and norms making something new and exciting. And that can only happen if public education is not financially starved or simply replaced with a corporate model.

Teachers and educators at moments expect me to be that which they can quickly identify with. Parents seek my insight and I theirs. Fellow actors know that I teach, but are at times oblivious to the failings of public education, and do not always fully realize how it can impact our very existence and profession. I get to stand on the cusp of all, always seeking a away to balance. There are many instances I feel very alone in my musings but I am very clear on how it all fits together and why I do what I do.

Looking back, I realize I have always done exactly this. And my new and continued insight is that I can be the voice for all of these things while relentlessly establishing and conquering my artistic existence and career. In other words, it does not have to be understood by anyone but me because this work waits for no explanation. I will continue to write, speak, fight, and act. And that is all.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Tamara. As usual, your voice on this topic is inspirational. I hope it will inspire your readers to join this urgent fight to save our true public schools. Our future, our democracy depends on it.

    ReplyDelete