Friday, April 3, 2015

Hateration and shade

As I sit here drinking Skinny Girl Margarita from a tea cup, I am reminded that I have experienced some interesting shade in this business that we call show business. Folks are quick to criticize you when you achieve some great things and then push you further down the hole when you are hanging on for dear life.

You get a role and you feel amazing! Then you overhear someone or feel someone in the cast throwing you mad shade because they auditioned for the same role and did not get it. And in turn, they opted for a lesser role instead. If you are unhappy, please stop the shade. No one told you that you had to take something else. Either love where you are or keep it moving! I'm just saying.

My other favorite as I sip on this lovely drink with all the alcohol but a fraction of the calories. You finally get cast as a day player or co-star in a series. And you are confident that this is one of many to come your way. But, you are not delusional enough to believe that you have arrived and all work ends here. And you get that inbox message that reminds you that the role was not race specific so now every non-person of color is hitting you up to let you know that they auditioned too and you hear the crickets of pause before they finally type congratulations. Do you realize how many auditions I have been on where someone else got the role? Or how many roles there are for white folks?!  I am ecstatic that someone else is working when it isn't me. Because no matter how close we are or how many times we pass each other at auditions, you will never know what their journey has for them. You will never know what God has for them and you. And if you want your blessings to continue you better check that shade at the door or else.

When you are living in your purpose everything is possible.

Now am I innocent of throwing shade or hateration? Hell to the no. But, I am aware enough to see when it is seeping into my brain and when I need to stop hanging around the hateration and shade patrol unit. Because if you are not careful it will catch you unawares and you will start flinging that shit like a pro.

Lastly, this business can lead to pity parties and pity extravaganzas. This is when you will find that one person who will literally suck the joy out of eating chocolate. You are financially in ruin and you haven't booked anything in months. Be careful of those who want to blame everything from the casting director to the director to the fact that they never hire our kind. It takes you away from self-improvement and from your daily grind. If not careful you will be at a complete standstill and you will not even have enough sense to realize that you are the fault of your own demise.

No let me finish this drink and take my ass to sleep...before hateration and shade get me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment