Saturday, April 11, 2015

Waiting for my next gig...

I just finished an amazing show and now I am once again unemployed and in that holding pattern I like to call, "Waiting for my next gig." During this time I used to get all stressed out and literally watch my locs fall to the floor. Thankfully, I have discovered other things to keep my mind off of the break and silence.

Exercise and meditation is a great way to pass the time and refocus my energies into something more positive. It allows me to take a moment to be thankful for all my recent successes and to not constantly check my bank account wanting to leap off of a cliff. (And this time I have actually lost some weight and gained some new flexibility) Reconnecting with other fellow performers by sharing a meal, a drink, conversation, gossip, or all the above. Make sure you do not fill this time with emotional leeches or else you make still want to leap off of the proverbial cliff.

Returning full time back to being an advocate for youth, public education, increased minimum wage and all that makes our world a better place is always a space where I can find peace and fulfillment. It reminds me that every time a budget is cut or a school is closed, it is one more opportunity for a child to not have any art in their life. Which may result in fewer future artists if we are not careful. And without hope we also diminish the opportunity for others to make their dreams a reality.

And the best part of this time off, is to work on new shit. New music. New monologues. Writing. Teaching. Networking with more casting directors. A better me. And venturing into new projects that stretch me as an artist and individual. And since, I am such a television junkie, this is a great time to catch up on all the shows I missed when I was in a show myself.

Oh and I nearly forgot, I also picked up dating during this time, which I usually do not do. And I must say it has been an interesting process with all the bells and whistles that I expected and did not expect. Thanks to the technological wonders of Tinder and Badoo, I am always one swipe away from a new adventure.

And this is my new survival guide until I book a new gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment