Thursday, February 23, 2017

A life of almost and could haves

Watching This is Us, I am struck by the line, "I have lived a life of almost and could haves." What also struck me was the contentment that the character felt in saying the line. Maybe contentment is the wrong word. He felt okay and had clearly forgiven his choices so that he could move on or better yet, so that he could live in the present. These conversations that we have with ourselves usually occur when we are evaluating the life that we have lived in order to make our next steps. I needed to see this. And more importantly, I needed to hear this.

Life as an artist is one filled with hills and valleys. It is also filled with fear and uncertainty. Unlike most career choices, this is one that is seldom understood by the majority and even worse it is only fully seen by other actors and performers. How does one continue in this life with no fear? How do you conquer your internal demons? You don't. The answer is that the fear will always be there. And if you have faith, then you can ride this pathway and remember, "This is a marathon not a race." Do not listen or remain in the presence of those who have never understood what it means to dream, live or better yet, breathe. And do not seek those who will sit in judgement and condemnation.

The line in This is Us reminded me that I must remember the blessings, the heartache, and the bullshit. And I must be grateful for all of it. All define who I am, and the lessons are God's whispers into my life, heart and soul. So I say yes to this path, and I say yes to the hills and valleys, and more importantly, I say yes and thank you to God for granting me the work ethic, talent, and spirituality necessary to be exactly where I am.

So hear me when I say this. Live your best life. Allow God into your heart and remember that His plan is always better than yours. Share your gifts and talents. Speak and live in your truth. Forgive yourself when you fall short and love yourself when you do terrible things. Always pick yourself up. And always give an open hand to those in generosity. Remember that a Higher Power sees you in the dark and the light. And always give negative fucks when folks try to irk you.

This is how I will never live a life of "almost and could haves."

No comments:

Post a Comment