Monday, September 16, 2013

Breaking the rules of education in Chicago - Next stop, NYC

Chicago

Remember that school on the West side of Chicago. The one with the abandoned section. Well that school turned out to be one of my three favorite teaching experiences. After the first year, the art department produced several student showcases throughout the year. It always included dance (modern, jazz, hip-hop, and even swing), music, and theater. One year, I wrote this play titled, What if Black History Month was outlawed? It featured a Jackson 5 medley, a speech by Malcolm X, a reading of the Letter from Birmingham, and a grandmother convincing her two grandchildren why Black history was so important. The students began to create original pieces and we always scheduled field trips for them to see professional performances.

During my time there, we developed a partnership with Goodman Theater, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and the Art Institute, and 2 other public schools funded by an Annenberg Grant. One of the many projects included an adult community production of the Colored Museum. The entire backstage crew was comprised of students ranging in age from 10 to 13. They ran the show seamlessly with little to no assistance. Every Saturday, the school sponsored Family Day. Any student could attend as long as a parent or guardian came too. It included lunch and tickets to a local professional show (Amistad at the Lyric Opera of Chicago and The Nutcracker at the Joffrey Ballet). One year, a small group of students were taught an actual ballet by professional company members of the Joffrey Ballet. Most of these programs cost the school nothing. Many were a result of relationships I continued to forge in the local art community. I am always amazed at the generosity of strangers when children are involved. I remember writing a letter to Leo Dancewear and receiving several pairs of brand new and gently used tap shoes for my students. Yes, I taught tap, jazz, African dance, hip-hop, and some ballroom dance. I had some hoofers! These classes were a part of the regular school day. Additionally, there were after-school classes too. It provided structure and discipline in a creative atmosphere. And some of my former students will tell you, I had no problem dismissing you from a show, dance, or class. I taught the courses and worked with the other art teachers as if the students were planning on pursuing this as a career. It was the way I was taught and I continued the tradition (Think of the opening scene in Fame. Well Fame costs! Had nothing on me). A few of the students attended professional auditions and dance competitions. One landed a feature role in a major motion picture.  A few others landed roles in local theaters.

Some of my students attended sleep overs hosted by me. (I know. All kinds of legal rules were broken. But long lasting relationships were developed) For some, this was the first time they sampled salmon croquet and home cooking without having to be responsible for smaller siblings. They were able and allowed to have fun as children. And we had a blast!

We even had holiday parties with the staff and families. Yes, we would bring food and play music. It created a trust between the community and the staff that I have not experienced since. 

At long last,  the abandoned section was completely refurbished and gave us an auditorium to share with a charter school that rented the other half of the building. I even worked with some of their students providing an art experience.

This worked because the administration and the teachers fully supported the arts at the school. It worked because outside professional organizations provided funding and support. It worked because no one ever told me that I could not be a professional artist and a teacher at the same time. It worked because the students were expected to be amazing, and they were. It quickly ended when administration changed and personalities clashed. Boom! I had to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment