Monday, September 16, 2013

Why I finally paid SAG? (with assistance)

I sent my head shots and resumes out to local agents to gain new representation since I no longer have any in NYC. I am teaching at a local charter school. (5 years later two of the founders were sentenced to 29 counts of fraud and misuse of approximately $825,000) Yes, they gave me a job. I never felt so honored. This is the same place that paid me pennies (One more reason why unions are important). But, I digress.

A few months after, I finally am connected with a new agent. Without an office visit, she arranges for me to be seen by the local casting agents. Shortly after those auditions are completed, I get an audition for a new M.Night film (The Happening). I go in and get callback. Woohoo! Then I got an email that the callback needed to be rescheduled. Now I may have to call in sick on another day. Then something happened that never happened before. The casting director simply booked me for the gig based on my first audition. I never felt so good! I was excited. Until, Boom!

"Did you pay your initiation fees for SAG after your first film?"

"Of course not."

"Well those must be paid before you shoot the film"

"Okay"

Let me explain why I let this go for 4 years. In some states, you can claim Taft Hartley. It simply allows you to take a SAG (Screen Actors Guild - union for film/TV actors) job and pay your initiation fees after. It is a great way to let the project pay for the dues. And you are even allowed to collect residuals from the project, quarterly payments made to the actor based on ticket sales, DVD sales, cable views, and regular television.  Except, I did not do that. I continued to collect residuals and take full advantage of SAG without paying one red cent. Don't judge me. I had just moved to NYC after completing Barber Shop 2. I needed every earned and residual penny.

So, I called SAG and asked for the current cost. At the time, it was $1500. Of course, I have that in my back pocket. It needed to be paid in 7 days. Now, the sad part is I could have paid the fee when it was only $800, 4 years ago. The residuals alone could have paid it within months after Barber Shop 2 was released. But, I did not do that. This is a lesson for those who get a lump sum of money from a project and forget about being responsible and saving. Thankfully, I had some assistance. The fee was paid. I shot the film and my scene got cut. A real scene with more than 1 line. Dagnabit!

I have been paying dues regularly ever since because I never want to be in that position again. You never know.

That's show biz! One more example of why all artists need someone in their corner for support. I am definitely not an island.I also learned how to be way more fiscally conscious. Well, mostly.


No comments:

Post a Comment