Friday, August 1, 2014

Does acting work when you are not in NYC or LA? (The plan)

The answer is YES!

I started this life in Chicago, a great artistic town. Eventually, I built a resume and earned my Actors Equity membership and my SAG card. If you have been following my blog, you know that I ended up in New York and then moved to Philadelphia.

Once I arrived, I quickly realized that the promise of support was quickly replaced with the reality of none.  Not all personal relationships work in this business, in fact between that and my daughter's needs changing, I had to quickly make a change.And boy was it a change, but that is a story for another day.

The beauty of Philly is that union work is not very plentiful. How and why is that good? Well when you are trying to keep your pinky toe in the business while working a full time unrelated job, you can take a few days off for auditions and roles in film and television because they are not very often. And you can develop a great relationship with the local casting director.

Once my support system was strengthened again and my daughter got older, I decided to leap back in full time. I was pushed from job security into joyful uncertainty. Thanks to my mom who quickly reminded me that it is the reason that I end up on the east coast in the first place.

Here are some of the strategies that I used to be relevant again:

First, I attended any and all Equity auditions, locally, NYC, DC, and Maryland and wherever my car or a train could get me too. I invested in an EZ pass (provides nearly 40% off tolls) and dedicated a credit card to travel.

Next, I continued to freelance with a local agent and developed relationships in other cities with other agents who came and saw me in theatre. All the while, I also made sure that my new support system included positive friends in the business. I say positive because this life can make some folks a little negative and difficult to be around. And ain't nobody got time for all that!

These initial strategies helped me to build a resume of credits to make up for the time I had been away. I also worked very diligently to connect with a manager during year two of this plan. I required assistance in developing relationships with other casting directors who do not always attend open calls. This included taking classes. Thanks to my new support system, I was introduced to a manager willing to work with me from Philly.

In order to make sure that I can always show up for auditions or go away for shows, my mom and friends work with me in making sure that my daughter's life is not completely hectic. This includes schedules, arranging for rental cars, and making sure that everyone in my support system is fully aware of auditions because they can or cannot become jobs.It also means never never taking them for granted.

I still audition for all local projects and do not assume that directors will remember me. This includes learning new monologues and music to make sure that I demonstrate growth and versatility. That is attached to a cost (voice lessons, new plays, and individual coaching).
 
Next, building a digital presence is vital. Over the last few years, I hired a web site designer (you can also do it yourself on WIX.com) I recorded a voice over demo in order to widen my market. The beauty of Philadelphia is that local artists who do this kind of work do not charge NYC or LA prices and the quality is just as good or better. I just recently recorded a singing demo to advertise my talents for future casting directors, weddings, and special events. Develop and update a FB page with any and all projects and goals. Once again I paid Philly prices for amazing quality.

How do you locate flexible side jobs to support you during the breaks of no work? Well if you have a graduate degree there are many online colleges and local ones that will hire you to teach courses.  You can pick and choose a schedule that supports auditions and projects that will take you out of town. I have taught online while in rehearsal out of town for a musical. Below you will read about web design, voice overs, and coaching. All of these services are performed by local actors. If you want names and contact info please leave a comment and I will gladly forward their information. Always maximize your skills so that they can support you no matter what. And remember, positive artists love supporting each other because they provide a more personalized service.

Philadelphia works for my family in regard to schools, living costs, spiritual support, and my artistry. So I make it work as my home base.

Another important aspect is to always show up when you commit to getting to NYC no matter what. This requires always having money for the bus or train. In my case, I have to take the train due to abject motion sickness and I like showing up as my best self. This includes finding and trusting some awesome friends who reside in NYC who are willing to let you sleep on a couch or may have an extra room. Just in case you have a callback the very next day, or if you have a project that requires you to be in the city a little longer. This requires once again everyone being included in the loop by always sharing your schedule and possible auditions because remember they can become jobs in the blink of an eye. And I repeat never taking folks for granted.

As a result of this plan, I now have representation in NYC. I share this plan with you because it is possible even if some of the pieces are missing. And this is never taught in Acting 101.  As a single parent, there are moments that some of my support system changes and that is okay because I continue to work around any and all obstacles because I choose to never look back or move backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment