Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sometimes you just need a callback



You know the drill. You enter the audition space and you slay it! You take over the room and you have a great time. The director strikes up a conversation with you, and the casting agent asks if you would be available the next day IF they called you back. And you walk out of the room elated just knowing that you will be there tomorrow. Then you come home and sit and wait. And wait. And wait. And nothing.

So after years of doing this, why did this rejection make me eat an entire bowl of vanilla ice cream with two chocolate chunk cookies? Rejection and no response is what comes with this life. It is always there. This one hurt because I simply needed confirmation that I am on the right path. Because lately, I have not been so sure. I have confided in a few friends, but this blog is the place where I am the most honest and the most transparent. I share because I know that I am not alone. This actor’s life is not for the meek and it comes with no guarantees. And when you are stretching chicken curry beyond a few days for your family because you have to make sure you have enough to make the trips to New York City, it can become nearly impossible to keep your head up.

But today, I helped a friend prepare a few audition self-tapes and I felt rejuvenated through his experience. The excitement of the, “What if” and “What’s next.”  And then I scheduled some appointments so that I can get a few independent projects finally off of the back burner and into fruition. After a sugar coma, I awoke to realizing that I can wait to be selected or I can choose myself and share my brand with the world. I can wait or I can do. That is always the solution to the audition-callback-book the job rumba. Or else you can seep into your pity party until one day, you cannot find the strength or reason to climb out. And today is not that day.

3 comments: